South Hill Calvary Chapel started in the South Hill area on June 14, 2001 to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the systematic proclamation of God's word. The church first met as a small Bible study at Mel Korum YMCA. Within a few months, on October 14th, Sunday services began at Ferrucci Junior High School. On March 17, 2002, the Lord opened up an opportunity for us to meet at the more permanent facility of the Cascade Early Childhood Development Center. Our relationship with Cascade has been a gift from God.
On January 1st, 2015, after a year of preparation and the Lord changing the heart and face of the church, South Hill Calvary Chapel changed it's name to The Chapel Church. At that time, we felt strongly that the Lord told us, "don't do church, be the church". With His divine grace, we are contiually pursing to "be the church."
The Chapel Chuch is led by a group of Elders. In conjunction, the Lord has raised up team of likeminded people to further Jesus' work in the Puyallup area and beyond.
Pastor Ron Sanchez serves as the lead pastor of The Chapel Church. Pastor Ron was ordained as a Calvary Chapel pastor in 1992, and he was sent out to Puyallup as a church plant from Calvary Fellowship. Calvary Fellowship's senior pastor is Wayne Taylor, who has been instrumental in planting over 50 Calvary Chapel churches in Washington, Russia, Germany, France, England and Japan.
God's work in Calvary Chapels began at Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa, California, which was founded by Pastor Chuck Smith. Pastor Chuck went home to be with the Lord in 2013. Pastor Chuck was one of the human instruments God used to bring about the "Jesus Movement" of the late 1960's and early 1970's. God has used the Calvary Chapel movement to start over 1200 churches in the United States and around the world.